Tax Help Question: Claim Charitable Deduction for Providing Services

Question: I am donating business services to a church.  Can I deduct my time spent as charitable contribution?  If so, how do I record my time?  Do I issue the church an invoice for my time?

Answer: According to IRS Publication 526 (Pub 526), you cannot deduct the value of your time or services.  This includes the value of your services and the value of income loss while you work as an unpaid volunteer at the church.

IRS Circular 230 Disclosure: To the extent this writing contains advice on a federal tax issue, the advice is not intended to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code, or (ii) promoting, marketing, or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed in this communication.