Tax Help Question – Dependant Exemption for Stillborn Child

Question:  We lost our baby at birth.  Can we claim any child deductions for the year?

Answer:  First and foremost, I am very sorry for your loss.  That is an unfortunate situation.

You can claim the personal exemption for a child that died at birth if the child was technically “born alive.”  By definition, a stillborn baby would not qualify as the baby died in the womb and was not born alive.

To claim the exemption, attach a copy of the child’s birth certificate, death certificate, or hospital records.  The document must show the child was born alive.  Then in the section for the social security number, enter “DIED.”